Computer Science Teacher
Part-Time or Full-Time
Start Date: Immediate
Who We Are
West Sound Academy is an independent school for grades 6-12 built to inspire students to embark on a learning journey meant to ignite their curiosity and encourage them to make their own unique impact in the world. Founded in 1998, West Sound Academy offers a diverse student body and an International Baccalaureate-based curriculum designed to empower students to think critically, engage globally, and actively pursue their unique passions in an encouraging educational environment. Located in the heart of Kitsap County, on a rural 20-acre campus just a 30-minute ferry ride from Seattle, the school offers a hands-on and creative curriculum with small class sizes that attracts students from all around the globe to learn and grow together.
This position includes teaching one semester of Introduction to Computer Science to 10th-grade students, plus advising the student Robotics Club and Makerspace. The Computer Science teacher will join a faculty and administration of 17 and reports to the Head of School.
- Classroom instruction of the assigned subject matter(s) in a rotating block schedule, emphasizing the utilization of varied pedagogies to facilitate deep learning, instilling good student skills, and building understanding, autonomy and inquiry as the students grow into young adults
- Making computer science visible and integrated within the school community by collaborating with teachers in other disciplines
- Fostering and strengthening school-community connections by maintaining open communication with all of the school’s constituencies
- Serving as a co-advisor to students with once-per-week group advisory meetings
- Supporting student-led clubs which vary from year to year depending on student interest
- Development and implementation of a three-week June Term course of focused study based on the teacher’s interests and experience for multi-age groups of middle and upper school students
- Active participation in the life of the school community
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in Computer Science or a related field
- Recent successful teaching experience in a Middle or Upper School environment preferred
- An understanding of contemporary perspectives on teaching computer science at the secondary level
- Familiarity or the willingness to learn to operate a 3-D printer, Laser Cutter, and CNC mill to offer maker classes
- Experience teaching within an intensive format (experiential week, J-term, summer program) preferred
- Strong writing, communication, and organizational skills
- Flexible, a team player, and willing to step in as needs arise
The Introduction to Computer Science is a second-semester class only. There is the possibility of additional FTE in other related areas for the right candidate. The schedule has the potential to change year over year. There is no guarantee of employment or equivalent FTE year over year.
West Sound Academy offers a competitive salary and benefits package and is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send a letter of interest, résumé, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
West Sound Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, sexual preference, gender identity, or any other protected classification under State, Federal, or Local Law in the administration of its hiring practices, educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship, loan programs, and athletic or any other school-administered program.