West Sound Academy (WSA) is a college preparatory International Baccalaureate (IB) World School for grades 6-12 with an approximate enrollment of 110 students. WSA is located on a rural 20-acre campus in Poulsbo, Washington, just a 30-minute ferry ride from Seattle. WSA focuses on preparing compassionate, courageous, and creative students capable of excelling in a global community.
The Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (STEM) teacher is knowledgeable about teaching physical sciences (physics and chemistry) and engaging with students in technology and makerspace. This position includes teaching physics and chemistry to 9th and 10th grade students and mixed-age electives to students in grades 8-12. This teacher will join a faculty and administration of 20 and reports to the Head of School. Responsibilities include planning and delivering curriculum to small classes with an average size of 20 students.
- Classroom instruction of the assigned subject matter(s) in a rotating block schedule, with an emphasis on utilizing varied pedagogies to facilitate deep learning, develop excellent student skills, and build understanding, autonomy and inquiry as the students grow into young adults.
- Providing a variety of learning experiences (such as project-based learning and student led inquiry, discussion, lab experimentation, and standards-based assessment among other techniques), so that students demonstrate the required skills and concepts to be prepared for the IB Diploma Programme in the junior and senior years.
- Management of detailed reporting and logistics for IB students taught, with thorough and precise communication to students and parents as well as the IB Coordinator
- Understanding the skill levels and needs of upper school students
- Frequent communication to parents via email or phone
- Conferences with students and colleagues three times per year
- Attending department and faculty meetings, and evening events as requested;
- Advisory role to a specified number of students and twice per week group advisory meetings with students
- Leading a lunchtime or after school club activity for at least one semester
- Development and the implementation of a three-week June Term course of focused study based on the teacher’s interests and experience for multi-age groups of middle and upper school students;
- Collaborative lab support to the Life Sciences teacher twice per year for 12th grade IB 10-hour lab projects and 8th grade Extended Research Projects
- Active participation in the life of the school community
- A Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in a related field
- Experience teaching physics and/or chemistry at the upper school level
- Familiarity with or the willingness to learn to operate a 3-D printer, Laser Cutter and CNC mill, and to offer maker classes
- Experience in computer science is a plus
- Strong writing, communication and organizational skills
- Flexible, a team-player and willing to step in as needs arise
Schedule subject to change and will change year over year. There is no guarantee of employment or equivalent FTE year over year.
Start Date: August 19, 2020
West Sound Academy offers a competitive salary and benefits package and is an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send a letter of interest, résumé, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
West Sound Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, sexual preference, gender identity or any other protected classification under State, Federal, or Local Law in the administration of its hiring practices, educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship, loan programs, and athletic or any other school-administered program.